Cop killer dies in prison
October 5, 2013
The man convicted of murdering Reno Police Officer John Bohach was found dead in his prison cell late Friday.
Larry Peck was convicted of first degree murder, use of a deadly weapon and resisting a police officer with a weapon in 2003.
Bohach, 35, was shot and killed with a high-powered rifle while working with other officers to set up a perimeter outside a house following a pursuit.
Peck was stopped for a traffic violation but fled the scene in his vehicle.
After Bohach was shot in the chest, the Reno Police SWAT team stormed the house and arrested Peck.
Prosecutors asked for the death penalty but the jury sentenced him to life in prison without possible parole.
Prison officials said Peck, 62, was found unresponsive in his cell at Northern Nevada Correctional Center Friday night.
He was transported to Carson-Tahoe Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death was not immediately available.
Deputy Director of Corrections Brian Connett said no foul play is suspected in the death.
He said Peck's next of kin have been notified.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- South Carson Street open house Wednesday