Dune buggy driver killed in Douglas County accident
November 22, 2012
The 19-year-old driver of a dune buggy was killed in a head-on collision with a pickup truck Thursday on a backcountry road in Douglas County.
According to a press release from Sheriff’s Sgt. Pat Brooks, the dune buggy driver was riding on Sunrise Pass Road in the Pinenut Mountains when his vehicle slid out of control on the dirt road and drifted into the path of the oncoming truck.
He says the dune buggy driver was driving at a high rate of speed when the accident occurred near Juniper Valley Road behind the Johnson Lane subdivision at 9:30 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
The driver, whose name wasn’t immediately released, was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in the dune buggy was taken to a Reno hospital with serious injuries.
The driver and a passenger in the truck were uninjured.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts