Dune buggy driver killed in Douglas County accident
November 22, 2012
The 19-year-old driver of a dune buggy was killed in a head-on collision with a pickup truck Thursday on a backcountry road in Douglas County.
According to a press release from Sheriff’s Sgt. Pat Brooks, the dune buggy driver was riding on Sunrise Pass Road in the Pinenut Mountains when his vehicle slid out of control on the dirt road and drifted into the path of the oncoming truck.
He says the dune buggy driver was driving at a high rate of speed when the accident occurred near Juniper Valley Road behind the Johnson Lane subdivision at 9:30 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
The driver, whose name wasn’t immediately released, was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in the dune buggy was taken to a Reno hospital with serious injuries.
The driver and a passenger in the truck were uninjured.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Initial approval given to Lompa project by Carson City supervisors
- Veterans suicide leads to training at Nevada prisons
- Carson City mayor declares Friday Mark Lindquist Day
- Nevada public retirement system board lowers investment projections
- Business struggles to hire young people for skilled-worker jobs