Ex-Carson development official to speak at NBC breakfast
April 14, 2013
Carson City's former economic development and re-development director is set to talk about Comstock-area issues at a Nevada Business Connections breakfast Wednesday in Reno.
Joe McCarthy, who lives in Silver Springs, said he will talk about why Virginia City and Gold Hill don't need the Comstock Mining Co. as part of the tourism mix. He will speak from the perspective of the Comstock Residents Association.
Disclosing a bit of his talk this week, he said the area already draws more than a million tourists annually.
"Why destroy that asset?" he said, warming to his theme of the reasons tourists visit the Comstock region. "They don't come to see open-pit mining."
Also set to speak is Chris Lynch of the Business Environmental Program at the University of Nevada, Reno. Others featured are Greg Martinelli and Sarah Polito of Waste Management. The day's presentations will focus on environmental power, Holt said.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016