Ex-Carson High teacher pleads guilty for sexual misconduct with teen
August 21, 2013
A former Carson High School teacher accused of having sexual conduct with a 17-year-old student changed her plea to no contest Tuesday.
Jennifer Helen Dalton, 36, had been charged with violating the law barring sexual conduct between an employee of the school district and a student between 14 and 17.
She could be sentenced to up to five years in prison for the crime, a Category C felony.
Dalton's co-teacher caught them in a classroom in 2011 and sent a letter to the principal.
"The door was locked and the lights were on and I saw my co-teacher Jennifer Dalton on the couch with a male student from one of our English IV co-taught classes," she reported, adding that they were "hugging and kissing."
She reported that afterward, Dalton confessed to her that "if they were not interrupted, it might have gone further."
"The allegation is not sex at this point," Sheriff Ken Furlong said at the time. "It is inappropriate activity."
That statement is borne out by the charge, which does not state the two were having sex.
Then-Assistant District Attorney Gerald Gardner said at the time that state statute prohibits sexual conduct between teachers, coaches and other school district employees and students.
Deputies were called and Dalton was escorted from the school grounds Aug. 31, 2011.
She was suspended pending an investigation the following day and resigned in November 2011, citing personal reasons.
District Court Judge James Wilson set sentencing for Oct. 15.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat