Faith and Insight: Enthusiasm is among the four pillars of a good life
March 23, 2013
In last Sunday's comics, Garfield is in a real funk. A huge "SIIIIGH" echoes through the house. It so happens that he missed the ice cream truck!
Sometimes, life just gets to me. My sigh is probably as poignant as that legendary feline's. With the sigh, I also utter a venomous and threatening, "LIFE!"
Recently, I began to feel guilty about my negative attitude. After all, shouldn't I be positive? Isn't life truly worth living?
So, I developed a little acrostic made up of things that make life a positive thing. Now, when I begin to sigh the word "LIFE," I recite four things that make it worth living.
Love: I am loved by a God who teaches me to love others.
Integrity: His Word values a life of virtue and honesty.
Faith: My life would be empty without the direction and outcome of faith.
Enthusiasm: The word comes from the Greek, meaning how one acts "in God."
And that's my new way to spell LIFE! Life is worth living. Cheer up, Garfield. It's not all about ice cream!
John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly."
• Faith and Insight by Bruce Henderson, Airport Road Church of Christ, Carson City.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe water managers may have to ‘spill’ water
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office seeks information into battery thefts