Faith & Insight: New year is for new beginnings
January 3, 2014
Let's think about new light, life, and hearts and what new can be this year. We just celebrated Christmas. Christmas, "Christ"mass, means celebration of Christ. Moving on now to the newness He can bring.
"And so we have the prophetic word confirmed which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your heart," (2 Peter 1:19-21).
"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches," (Rev. 22:16).
"I am .. the Bright and Morning Star," (Rev. 22:16).
"I am … the Beginning and the End," says the Lord. "Who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty," (Rev:1:8).
A couple of my favorites are, "His mercies are new every morning," (Lam. 3:23), and "Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning," (Psalm 30:5).
Speaking of Jesus, John says "that was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world," (John 1:9).
Some of the new things His light does for us follow. He gives us a new heart and new spirit in us (the Holy Spirit; Eph. 36:26 and Heb. 4:7). Anyone in Christ is a new creation. The old passes away and all things are made new (2 Cor. 5:17). We become new and renewed in Him (Col. 3:10). He gives the new covenant, and His blood cleanses "conscience from dead works to serve Him," (Heb. 9:15). Jesus says, "I will make all things new," (Rev.21:5).
References are included so that you may investigate further yourself. "Today if you will hear His voice do not harden your hearts," (Heb. 4-7).
The path of the just is like the shining sun unto the perfect day (Prov. 4:18). Do you want a new dawn? There is great hope for the coming season.
Closing words from two Christmas songs were especially meaningful to pray this year. "Joy to the World … let earth receive her King. Let every heart prepare Him room." And from O Holy Night, "yonder breaks a new and glorious morn." Anything is possible with Him.
Praying you have a bright new dawn, new beginnings, and real transformation walking in His light. Let earth receive her King in 2014.
Barbara Jones is the Nevada state prayer leader for National Governors' Prayer Team and Cry Out America and Awakening America.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts