Farm to Fork food forum set for June 17 at 6 p.m.
June 11, 2014
Sierra Nevada Forums plans a public forum the evening of Tuesday, June 17, to discuss building local food networks.
The event, set at the Carson Plaza Event Center, 211 E. 9th St., in Carson City, is billed the Farm to Fork Forum and will begin at 6 p.m., a half hour after doors open that evening. A half dozen people are presenting views on the topic, which will be followed by a question-answer period.
The presenters are Amanda Burden, editor/publisher of Edible Reno-Tahoe, a food magazine; Dr. David Thain, veterinarian and consultant; Rob Holley, Holley Family Farms; Nancy Dineen, Nancy's Green Barn Farm; Nicole Sallaberry, Great Basin Food Co-op; and Linda Marrone, Carson City farm-to-fork networking food expert involved with the proposed Hub and Kitchen.
Burden will speak on connecting with local growers and give an overview of regional activities. Dr. Thain will tackle dynamics of Nevada meat and poultry harvest. Holley's focus is U.S. Department of Agriculture certified organic produce and meats. Dineen will tackle certified naturally grown produce and meats. Sallaberry is set to deal with retailing of local foods, and Marrone is handling farmers markets and local food connections.
Sierra Nevada Forums holds events to provide fact-based information on issues of importance to the community, region and beyond.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition