Fire burning in Lyon County
September 9, 2012
A wildfire burning 2.5 miles south of Rawe Peak in the Pinenut Mountains grew to more than 800 acres Sunday night.
The fire is burning southeast of Dayton and is not threatening any structures, according to the Sierra Front Interagency Dispatch Center.
According to Sierra Front, the fire was discovered right after noon Sunday. It is believed to have been caused by a lightning strike on Saturday.
Five air tankers, two water tenders, six hand crews, two helicopters, two dozers and five engines – 168 personnel in total – are currently fighting the fire, according to the sierrafront.net website.
The fire is burning near communication towers and powerlines that are in the area.
The fire is one percent contained. The agency expects to have full containment by Tuesday.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts