Fish Springs man jailed in fatal shooting
November 22, 2013
An 81-year-old Fish Springs man is in custody after he allegedly told a neighbor he shot and killed his caretaker with a shotgun.
The man, identified as Melvin Norlund, reportedly knocked on the neighbor's door and reported the shooting.
The neighbor contacted Douglas County Emergency Dispatch at 1:22 p.m. Thursday.
Norlund was unarmed when he arrived at the neighbor's house, and he was taken into custody without incident.
The caretaker's body was found at the home. Investigators and a coroner were at the scene.
Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini said investigators were interviewing Norlund.
The caretaker was a middle-aged woman. Her identity is being withheld pending notification of family members.
The home is at the end of Homestead Road, off Jacobsen Lane.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Curry Street area business deal with flooding
- Dayton residents continue to prepare for flooding after scare
- Protesters greet Heller, Amodei at Carson City’s Gold Dust West ahead of ‘Soups On’
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person