Fundraiser set for July 9 to benefit The Greenhouse Project
June 30, 2013
The band War will headline the fifth annual Concert Under the Stars: A Benefit for The Greenhouse Project, set for July 9 at Café at Adele's.
Also performing are Notch 8 and C.W. and Mr. Spoons. Doors will open at 5 p.m., and War takes the stage at 8.
Concert Under the Stars has, like The Greenhouse Project it is hosted for, grown over the years and is being produced by John Procaccini in conjunction with Adele's. NV Energy and Carson-Tahoe Regional Medical Center are sponsors.
"This event is one the community always steps up to support and each year we have exceeded our fundraising goals," said Karen Abowd, president of The Greenhouse Project. "Thanks to the community's support, we raised $35,000 last year and this year would love to hit $45,000."
Five corporate tents that seat 10 seat and include a personal server, two bottles each of red and white wine, two six-packs of beer, water, a $75 food voucher and a banner can be purchased for $1,250 each.
Proceeds will offset operation costs and expand programs and services at The Greenhouse.
"This past year we have had 2,599 hours of student participation, which included six to eight special-needs kids on a daily basis, and have been able to hire five high school students through AmeriCorp for the summer where last year we had three," Abowd said.
In 2012, The Greenhouse Project provided more than 2,000 pounds of fresh produce for Ron Woods Family Resource Center and Friends in Service Helping, or F.I.S.H. The goal this year is 4,500 pounds, distributed to families in need. Fifty-three pounds have been provided to the high school's culinary-arts program.
Additionally, 62 flower baskets are hanging throughout Carson City.
"For $192, folks receive a fresh-cut flower bouquet each week through September," Abowd said. "The cost is $12 per bouquet and again, the money helps offset operations costs."
The Greenhouse Project hired an assistant manager, Camille Jones, who came here from Austin, Texas. Jones is helping high-schoolers on the cut-flower program, Abowd said.
Concert Under the Stars will feature both live and silent auctions, with proceeds from the latter supporting CHS's FFA program. Planters will be available for bidding, and gourmet food trucks will sell their wares.
Veranda seating has sold out, but premium tickets for $60 and general admission tickets for $40 are available. For tickets, visit carsoncitygreenhouse.org or call Adele's at 775-882-3353. For more information about sponsorship, call Abowd at 775-232-8626.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat