Girl resisting arrest stunned at middle school
October 24, 2012
A 14-year-old Carson Middle School student was Tasered on Tuesday afternoon after she allegedly struggled while being arrested for violating her probation.
Deputy Jessica Rivera, the Carson Middle School dean of students and another school staff member were in the dean’s office when Rivera tried to handcuff the girl, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Sgt. Darrin Sloan. When the girl became combative, Rivera used her Taser.
“I could tell by the call (Rivera) was having trouble,” Sloan said.
After the girl was stunned, she was treated at the scene by medics, and then taken for medical evaluation before being incarcerated.
Sheriff Ken Furlong said the department’s use-of-force policy is the same regardless of the person’s age.
“It appears to be a typical confrontation between a person and an officer,” Furlong said after he had been briefed on the incident. “It’s a lower level of force that does not cause trauma or injury.” he said.
The incident is under investigation by the school, Superintendent Richard Stokes said.
Whenever a deputy uses force, a use-of-force report is prepared, which goes to the undersheriff for review, Furlong said.
In the 10 years he can remember, this is only the second time a Taser has been used on a juvenile, Furlong said.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat