Grant Davis of Carson wins Dr. Phil TV talent show
July 12, 2012
Fans of Carson City entertainer Grant Davis saw the 15-year-old beat several peers Wednesday on the nationally televised Dr. Phil show.
Davis, now in Los Angeles recording an album, bested several competing youths on a pre-taped show called “Is My Child a Star?”
Davis said the experience was beyond words.
“I never in a million years thought this would happen to me,” he said after his triumph.
Dr. Phil McGraw, whose show is a staple of the afternoon talk genre, said judges agreed that Davis showed the most potential.
The two-part show, which ran Tuesday and Wednesday before the winner was disclosed, focused on the competitors and their mothers as the moms coached and cajoled their offspring.
Among the prizes young Davis won was a new Ford Focus, use of a Wilshire Boulevard apartment for six months, the aid of an agent, television show appearances, plus acting, vocal and dance lessons from professionals.
Actress and celebrity Florence Henderson headed a group of judges during the show. Judges commented that Davis had a strong voice, but Henderson said his decision to sing “That’s Life” wasn’t the best, it being too old for a teen. But she also told him that he has a great future and projected “terrific stage presence.”
Trending In: Local
- Nevada state workers receive raise in proposed state budget by Gov. Brian Sandoval | 2017 Nevada Legislature
- Heller, Amodei on wrong side of history
- Nevada’s oldest WWII vet special guest to Gov. Brian Sandoval
- Nine Carson City proposed road projects to go to RTC
- Gov. Brian Sandoval covers accomplishments, goals in State of State | 2017 Nevada Legislature