May 25, 2013
Memorial Day weekend events
• Rides on the Virginia & Truckee Excursion Train between Virginia City and Gold Hill depart the depot at F and Washington streets in Virginia City between 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday. Adult tickets cost $9 for diesel and $11 for steam. Children ages 5-12 ride for $4.50; children younger than 5 ride free. An all-day pass for steam is $24; for diesel, it's $18. For more information, call 775-847-0380.
• Carson City Ghost Walk tours leave at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Tours depart from Third and Carson streets next to the St. Charles Hotel (The Firkin & Fox). The 90-minute tour of the downtown district's historic homes covers lingering spirits of the past, as well as haunted and paranormal stories. For tickets, go to http://brownpapertickets.com.
• Opening weekend for the V&T. For more information and reservations, go to vtrailway.com or call 877-724-5007.
• The 150th anniversary of the formation of the 1st Battalion, Nevada Volunteer Cavalry, will be marked from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with Civil War encampment and displays. A parade will take place at noon Saturday.
• The Nevada State Railroad Museum, 2180 S. Carson St., is hosting rides on the historic Virginia & Truckee McKeen Motor Car and museum access to all the exhibits from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 775-687-6953 for more information.
• A Memorial Day ceremony hosted by the Marine Corps League's Silver State Detachment will be at 10:30 a.m. at the Stewart Indian Cemetery on Clear Creek Road, east of U.S. Highway 395. The event will feature the color guard from Carson High School, the Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, the Marine Corps League, the Salvation Army and World War II veterans.
• A Memorial Day Service will be at 1 p.m. in the veterans section at Lone Mountain Cemetery, 1044 Beverly Drive. Call 775-887-2111 for more information.
• Virginia City Memorial Day Service, hosted by Carlin Camp 25 and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, will be from 2-2:30 p.m. at Silver Terrace Cemetery in Virginia City. For more information, call 775-972-7420 or go to http://www.suvpac.org.
• Red, White & Blue Summer BBQ will be from 1-7 p.m. at the Carson Nugget's West Lot. There will be live music, food and drinks, games and children's activities. Admission is free.
• Evergreen Gene's fifth annual Memorial Day BBQ takes place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1811 N. Carson St. Hot dogs, hamburgers, watermelon and more will be served for free. Veterans will receive 25 percent off their purchases. For more information, contact Gene or Rowena at 775-882-1807, 775-530-0946 or email@example.com.
Events can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- South Carson Street open house Wednesday