Inmate with terminal illness dies at NNCC
December 24, 2013
Another Nevada inmate died in custody last week, this time at the Northern Nevada Correctional Center's Regional Medical Facility.
Corelius Acres, 60, had been hospitalized with what prison officials described as a terminal illness; therefore, no foul play is suspected. An autopsy will be conducted, prison officials said.
Acres was serving a life sentence for attempted capital murder committed in Virginia. He had been hospitalized in the Nevada correctional system since 1997. He has no known family members.
Acres is the 34th inmate to die in custody in 2013. That is fewer than in any of the previous three years.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe water managers may have to ‘spill’ water
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office seeks information into battery thefts