Man accidentally shoots self in face
October 30, 2012
A man who accidentally shot himself in the face Saturday morning at about 8:30 a.m. was flown to Reno by Care Flight.
The dispatch center received a 911 call from the man but was unable to understand him, Sheriff Ken Furlong said.
While his call was being handled, other dispatchers received calls of shots fired.
“He took his gun and started shooting to honk the horn,” Furlong said.
The Carson City Sheriff’s Office has an agreement with the Washoe Tribe to render aid. The undersheriff made the decision for deputies to accompany paramedics onto the tribal land to render aid and secure the area.
“We need to get this guy and get to him now,” Furlong said of the decision.
The sheriff’s office reviewed its agreement and policy with the Washoe tribe Monday morning in relation to how the incident was handled. The handling of the incident is one in which the office has “met all intents” of the agreement.
“We don’t normally go on tribal,” he said.
Furlong said saving a life is a reason deputies will enter tribal land.
The man’s condition is unknown at this time.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016
- Open house at historic Carson City site to honor Native American heritage
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Major disaster declaration for Nevada, Carson City