National search begins for a new state Wildlife Department director
February 20, 2013
Gov. Brian Sandoval on Tuesday announced a national search for a new wildlife director.
He asked for Ken Mayer’s resignation this month, reportedly because of protests from rural officials over his handling of the sage grouse issue. Some of those officials felt Mayer was too accommodating to federal agencies.
“Nevada faces many challenges when it comes to habitat restoration, creating healthy wildlife populations and keeping the sage grouse off the endangered species list,” he said.
Sandoval said he wants to identify a candidate with the strong scientific and administrative experience needed to lead the Department of Wildlife.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition