NDOT approves next bypass contract | NevadaAppeal.com

Back to: Local

NDOT approves next bypass contract

The Nevada Department of Transportation has approved a contract that is the next step toward completing the Carson Bypass freeway.

The Snyder Avenue bridge is one of the bridges that will allow local traffic to pass over the as-yet unfinished southern leg of U.S. 395. Others along the final leg of the bypass are at Koontz Lane and Clearview Drive.

The Snyder Avenue contract was originally brought before the board last year but NDOT spokesman Scott Magruder said problems with the process forced NDOT to rebid the project. He said the second time around, NDOT received three good bids.

The NDOT board headed by Gov. Brian Sandoval was told Monday that the contract has been awarded to Granite Construction for $9.4 million. NDOT Deputy Scott Sisco said that is some $2 million less than the engineer’s estimated cost for the project.

Construction is expected to start this spring.

Snyder Avenue is the southern-most structure on the bypass route before it reconnects with the freeway at the junction with Highway 50.

NDOT officials say they still are trying to come up with funding to extend the freeway itself from Fairview to the Spooner junction and build the complex interchange there that will tie new and old U.S. 395 together with Highway 50 to Lake Tahoe.

The final phase of the bypass is projected to cost $85 million.