Nevada Legislature passes online gambling law
February 21, 2013
(AP) – The Nevada Legislature has unanimously approved an online gambling bill and sent the measure to Gov. Brian Sandoval for his signature.
In testimony before a joint committee earlier in the day, Sandoval said a similar internet gambling bill is pending in New Jersey. He stressed the importance of passing legislation in Nevada first to retain its status being the world leader in gambling regulation.
He resolved a disagreement with the bill’s sponsor over the licensing fee the state will charge, settling at $500,000. Assembly Majority Leader William Horne had wanted to charge $1 million.
Lawmakers praised the bipartisan effort.
Sandoval was expected to sign the bill later Thursday.
Trending In: Local
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Carson City Curry Street area business deal with flooding
- Dayton residents continue to prepare for flooding after scare
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Protesters greet Heller, Amodei at Carson City’s Gold Dust West ahead of ‘Soups On’