Nevada Legislature passes online gambling law
February 21, 2013
(AP) – The Nevada Legislature has unanimously approved an online gambling bill and sent the measure to Gov. Brian Sandoval for his signature.
In testimony before a joint committee earlier in the day, Sandoval said a similar internet gambling bill is pending in New Jersey. He stressed the importance of passing legislation in Nevada first to retain its status being the world leader in gambling regulation.
He resolved a disagreement with the bill’s sponsor over the licensing fee the state will charge, settling at $500,000. Assembly Majority Leader William Horne had wanted to charge $1 million.
Lawmakers praised the bipartisan effort.
Sandoval was expected to sign the bill later Thursday.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016