New $24M Lyon County law complex with bigger jail
January 15, 2013
YERINGTON (AP) – Lyon County’s overcrowded jail is finally being replaced this week with a new one more than three times bigger than the old one.
The new $24 million Lyon County Justice Complex opened its doors on Monday although the timing of the transfer of inmates was being kept secret for security reasons.
Sheriff Allen Veil says the old jail averaged 94 inmates sharing 54 beds. The new one has 184 beds.
The 90,000-square-foot complex also includes office space for the sheriff’s office, Walker River patrol, three courtrooms and other office space for the Third Judicial District Court and Walker River Justice Court.
Lyon County Commission Chairman Joe Mortensen says it was worth the decade it took to jump through all the governmental hoops to complete the project.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Curry Street area business deal with flooding
- Dayton residents continue to prepare for flooding after scare
- Protesters greet Heller, Amodei at Carson City’s Gold Dust West ahead of ‘Soups On’
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person