New law will let motorcycles, bicycles go through red lights
September 28, 2013
A new law goes into effect next week that will allow vehicles such as motorcycles and bicycles to go through or turn left even though the traffic light is red.
The new "proceed on red" law allows those types of vehicles to go after waiting through two complete signal cycles without getting a green light. Very often, those types of vehicles don't have the mass to be recognized by the signal systems.
"Sensors in traffic signals are triggered by the metal surface area of a vehicle and its alignment with signal detectors," according to a spokesman.
The departments of Motor Vehicles and Transportation are looking to get the word about the law out through a public-awareness campaign dubbed "Safe on Red." Posters will be put in more than 200 motorcycle and bicycle shops around the state. The law takes effect Monday.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition