April 27, 2013
140 years ago
The latest from the Modocs. The Calvary has returned and found no sign of an Indian trail. Dr. Calbaniss has just returned from the lava beds with two squaws. One old one was shown Schouchin's head and said it was his.
130 years ago
(Continued from Friday) Mansfield confided to his son that he was entirely innocent of any wrong and if the family would go to a certain book, on a certain page it would be found that the date of the year had been placed in the wrong column. It was found that the year 1858 had been added to the cash account by mistake.
100 years ago
The Baltimore Oriole, the annual spring visitor has shown up in this city after a winter absence. The oriole is without a doubt the handsomest bird that comes to this section. The noisy clatter will last until the first fall frost.
70 years ago
The Carson City 20-30 Club voted Tuesday to purchase a war bond. The club's sponsored Boy Scout Troop will also buy a war bond. Each member of the club wrote a letter to a former club member now serving in the armed forces.
50 years ago
(Photo Caption) With the Legislature drawing to a close a group of lobbyists take it easy in one of the committee rooms. Pictured is Walter Cox, Richard Hanna, John V. Muller, Howard Gray, Robert McAdam and Bob Guinn.
20 years ago
Eureka's early problems with fire are highlighted in an article by Phillip I. Earl of the Nevada Historical Society.
Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts