June 3, 2012
Hank Monk as a listener. Yesterday while Hank Monk was sitting in front of the Ormsby House in a semi-comatose condition, a stranger from the East drew up his chair and asked if he’d been here very long. The stranger asked if he knew of Hank Monk, the famous stage driver that gave Horace Greeley a ride. Hank, half asleep replied no, and let the stranger tell him the story of the famous ride. The stranger, upon finishing his story found Monk fast asleep. (Continued Tuesday)
100 years ago
During the past few weeks the hunters have been constantly on the trail of doves. Hundreds have been killed. When they first came in and before mating this was excusable, but to shoot a dove at this season is criminal while they are nesting. Put up your guns until nesting is through.
70 years ago
Mrs. Jack Johnson, who has charge of the swimming program of the Carson City Red Cross chapter, announced today that classes will start Monday at the Carson Hot Springs. Hardin Andrew will be the instructor to be assisted by Miss Bette Fodrin and Miss Eileen DeRose.
50 years ago
The Smith family is negotiating to sell Harold’s Club for $16 million. Club spokesman Roy Powers confirmed the deal is in the works. The sale includes the seven story building downtown, the Harold’s Gun Club and various other properties.
20 years ago
Lassen County, Calif. Voters want no part of Nevada, but like the rest of Northern California, voted to break away from the southern half of the state in an advisory election.
10 years ago
Thanks to a global volunteer effort, those who died Sept. 11, 2001, will be honored with an internationally constructed quilt by Lee Blomquist.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016
- Open house at historic Carson City site to honor Native American heritage
- Major disaster declaration for Nevada, Carson City