June 10, 2012
130 years ago
“Needles,” the tragedian, arrived here from an unsuccessful tour in the southern part of the State. It is said will lecture upon the “immorality of Bodie,” and the “Temperance Question.” He makes a special request of friends not to ask him for a drink until he has completed his lecture season in this city.
100 years ago
Last evening at the Episcopal parsonage a dog fight occurred between the Parson’s dog and a visiting canine. In order to stop the highly sensational doings, Mrs. Thomas rushed to the rescue. As a result she is carrying her hand in a sling. She insists her dog got the better of the other, nearly killing it. A little later Jim Davis acted as peacemaker and is also carrying his finger in a sling. All parties have concluded in the future to let the best dog win.
70 years ago
Carson City’s sewage disposal plant sweetland addition will be operating in a few days. A trenching machine will lay concrete pipe 18 inches in diameter from the Orphan’s home.
50 years ago
Bill Goni, Ormsby County commissioner for 10 years, filed today for the office of long-term county commissioner on the Republican ticket. Goni said it is customary to alternate between long and short-terms.
20 years ago
Nevada’s budget crisis is expected to reach $130 million, with layoffs and program cuts required to meet the massive deficit.
10 years ago
Boat patrol agencies at Lake Tahoe are expecting the reality of boating at the lake to increase this year following low water levels that produced 32 boat groundings and 280 total calls, up from 200 the previous year.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts