June 12, 2012
130 years ago
Yesterday morning a stranger brought in a black team here from Virginia, and it is said persons noticing his conduct said he kept himself well under the influence of whisky, the poor animals were run all day without rest or food. He is a nice man to let a team to.
100 years ago
The champion fish of Lake Tahoe so far this season was landed by Dick Savage yesterday while fishing with Charley Nevers. He hooked a fish which when landed weighed 21 pounds. It took the pair nearly an hour to get the big fellow in the boat, a silver trout and native of the lake.
70 years ago
Work is to begin on the Carson Valley Airport. Even though the low bid exceeded budget by about $175,000, the war department approved the project.
50 years ago
An additional traffic patrolman will be added to the Carson City police the next fiscal year. The City Council approved the addition, which will be paid for by parking meters. Currently all four members of the traffic division are paid for by parking meter income.
20 years ago
Dinner, dancing and a silent auction of young Nevada artists’ work are a few of the activities planned to “Help Turn On The Lights” benefit for the Carson City Children’s Museum.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Carson City Curry Street area business deal with flooding
- Dayton residents continue to prepare for flooding after scare
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Protesters greet Heller, Amodei at Carson City’s Gold Dust West ahead of ‘Soups On’