September 8, 2012
130 Years Ago
All sorts: There are four gas lamps on Capitol square… If the Capitol Commissioners will light two of them each night at the expense of the State they can greatly add to the attractions of Carson street.
120 Years Ago
Murder: Lizzie Borden has been held to appear before the grand jury for the murder of her father and stepmother.
70 Years Ago
Movie stars in Carson: In an effort to rally the “Stars Over America” Mayor C. B. Austin requested that all business houses close between the hours of one and two p.m. on that day. Ronald Coleman and Lynn Bari, prominent Hollywood movie stars will be here to greet local residents and assist in stimulating war bond sales. The film luminaries will be greeted by Governor Carville and the program presided over by Richard L. Waters, Ormsby county war bond chairman.
50 Years Ago
Governor Grant Sawyer was on a one-day vacation leaving 81-year old Lt. Gov. Maude Frazier as the first woman ever to run Nevada as its chief executive.
30 Years Ago
Solar heat: One of several fundraising events, the Swim-a-thon raises money for solar heat at the Carson City indoor pool.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Lake Tahoe water managers may have to ‘spill’ water
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Update: Water receding in Dayton retention pond
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office seeks information into battery thefts