September 26, 2012
130 Years Ago
Leprosy in Virginia [City]: A woman died in Virginia of genuine leprosy. She contracted the disease in the Sandwich Islands and up to the time of her death very few knew she was suffering … That the disease is contagious like the smallpox is an error … Leprosy is mostly a transmitted disease and never epidemic.
120 Years Ago
A daughter: Mrs. James D. Torreyson presented the Attorney General with a lovely daughter. Her father is already thinking of exhibiting her at the Pavilion.
70 Years Ago
Births: Bill Ligon is the proud papa of a baby born in Reno. He is the grand nephew of Mrs. Marion Grant Bowen and Miss Sade J. Grant.
50 Years Ago
Cuban Crisis: President Kennedy has full congressional backing to deal with the Communist military build-up in Cuba … including use of U.S. Troops.
30 Years Ago
Nuclear tests: Three nuclear devices were detonated underground … two simultaneously and one 60 minutes later. The tests had a yield of less than 20 kilotons. The atomic bomb dropped on Japan in World War II had a yield of 20 kilotons … The press release marked the first time the public was told of the nuclear explosions prior to the event.
10 Years Ago
C Hill Flag: C Hill, Carson City’s tribute to America, is hoping 52 people will be willing to make the trek up the hill to repair the flag. Dan Mooney along with Gil Ayarbe came up with the idea to erect the 120 by 67 foot flag after 9-11-01 terrorist attacks.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- ‘All I could do was gasp for air’ – Tahoe woman tells of near drowning in Truckee
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy kicks off concert series
- It’s going to be another Big, Bad weekend in Carson City
- Three arrested on child endangerment, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Robert Freeman wins 50-miler at Carson City Off-Road; Lance Armstrong 4th