September 26, 2012
130 Years Ago
Leprosy in Virginia [City]: A woman died in Virginia of genuine leprosy. She contracted the disease in the Sandwich Islands and up to the time of her death very few knew she was suffering … That the disease is contagious like the smallpox is an error … Leprosy is mostly a transmitted disease and never epidemic.
120 Years Ago
A daughter: Mrs. James D. Torreyson presented the Attorney General with a lovely daughter. Her father is already thinking of exhibiting her at the Pavilion.
70 Years Ago
Births: Bill Ligon is the proud papa of a baby born in Reno. He is the grand nephew of Mrs. Marion Grant Bowen and Miss Sade J. Grant.
50 Years Ago
Cuban Crisis: President Kennedy has full congressional backing to deal with the Communist military build-up in Cuba … including use of U.S. Troops.
30 Years Ago
Nuclear tests: Three nuclear devices were detonated underground … two simultaneously and one 60 minutes later. The tests had a yield of less than 20 kilotons. The atomic bomb dropped on Japan in World War II had a yield of 20 kilotons … The press release marked the first time the public was told of the nuclear explosions prior to the event.
10 Years Ago
C Hill Flag: C Hill, Carson City’s tribute to America, is hoping 52 people will be willing to make the trek up the hill to repair the flag. Dan Mooney along with Gil Ayarbe came up with the idea to erect the 120 by 67 foot flag after 9-11-01 terrorist attacks.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts