September 29, 2012
130 Years Ago
Attempted suicide: A young girl in the south end of town got into difficulty with her mother and attempted to take her life with strychnine which caused her great agony. The timely arrival of a doctor and stomach pump pulled her through.
120 Years Ago
The District Fair second day: The Ormsby Fair has been blessed with splendid weather. Between the heats Meder’s band under the leadership of Professor Luper rendered some fine music.
70 Years Ago
Rain dance: Opert Little and 18 other Paiute Indians put out a range fire near Carlin… “I told the medicine man and we did a rain dance and it rained like the dickens.”
50 Years Ago
Carson commercial airline: Airport manager Emile Basso said Silver State Airlines of Nevada will be in operation in about a month and offer daily round-trip flights to Las Vegas. Two twin-engined DeHavillands that carry nine passengers each make the trip to the south in from two to two and a half hours.
30 Years Ago
Layoffs: Carson City will have to lay off 30 employees unless new ways to raise money to keep the city from going into the red are made.
10 Years Ago
Nevada is not a wasteland: Attorney General Frankie Sue Del Papa and others rallied against plans for a nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts