September 30, 2012
130 years ago
A French chemist estimates the human body contains two pounds of phosphorous and five ounces of iron. A Candelaria Coroner has found while overhauling a dead man, found nine lumps of lead in his stomach and thirteen inches of steel running into his back. The dead man had recently attended a political primary election.
100 years ago
In his hurry to grab a paddle a boat capsized, drowning a young boy in Washoe Lake, some sixty yards from the beach. By the time his companions had reached him, he sank to the bottom. A coroner was summoned from Reno.
70 years ago
The order yesterday “freezing” six types of rubber boots and work shoes was bad news for hunters and fishermen who are shy of rubber footwear. After Oct. 5, persons claiming eligibility for frozen types of footwear, must seek authority from the local rationing board.
50 years ago
Sparked by the local chamber of commerce, a commercial airline (Silver State) has announced plans to begin daily flights from Carson City to Las Vegas, via Reno and Hawthorne.
20 years ago
Mayoral candidates Marv Teixeira and Robert McFadden square off on the Hartoonian Ranch master plan which includes a golf course resort.
10 years ago
Heaters and winter jackets went on Monday morning with residents waking up to 27 degrees.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat