October 3, 2012
130 years ago
A few days ago a woman died in Virginia of genuine leprosy. She contracted the disease in the Sandwich Islands many years ago and up until the time of her death many did not know she had the disease. The idea the disease is contagious like smallpox is in error.
100 years ago
The flip of a coin in the fingers of Judge Averill yesterday decided that P.E. Adams should remain on the democratic assembly ticket faced by B. F. Walderon. When all the votes were counted, both men had exactly 519 votes each – Goldfield Tribune.
70 years ago
The best thing for motorists to do about the 35-miles-per-hour speed limit proclaimed by President Roosevelt and “recommended” by Governor Carville is to keep the heavy off the gas pedal even though highways aren’t watched by highway patrolmen at present.
50 years ago
Lou Musson, pilot of the Miss Bardahl, was $3,700 richer today after steering the hydroplane to victory in the first regatta.
20 years ago
After a 3-2 vote the Carson-Tahoe Hospital Board voted not to locate a new medical clinic at the intersection of Roop Street and Host Springs Road.
10 years ago
Carson City is saturated in pink as hundreds of men and women don T-shirts to show support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016