October 16, 2012
130 years ago
When the Curry engine bell rang yesterday morning to notify people that it was time to get up and see the comet, quite a number of people ran down the street half dressed, yelling fire and mistaking the comet for a conflagration of the Quinn hoisting works in Dayton. For two days it had been noticed in the papers. No man could be fooled (except those who don’t subscribe).
100 years ago
Yesterday afternoon a drunk was disturbing the quiet of the city and Barney Brule soon had him locked up. The voters will stand in with Barney on Election Day as he is one of the most efficient officers that Carson has ever had.
70 years ago
As part of fire prevention week, Gilbert B. Doll of the local U.S. Forest Service office presented a movie to the local Rotary Club.
50 years ago
Members and guests at the Leisure Hour Club were treated to a report on democracy in action at their last meeting. Present were four Carson High School seniors, delegates to the annual session of Girl’s State.
20 years ago
Carson’s eighth-grade basketball team beat Carson Valley 39-15 Tuesday. High scorer for the Solons was Linda Upton with 11, Mimi Utt and Tonja Root with eight each and Raquel Ford with six.
10 years ago
The fifth annual Lake Tahoe Environmental Summit is planned for Heavenly Ski Resort. Senators from California and Nevada take turns every year hosting the event.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts