October 20, 2012
130 years ago
There was a large audience at the Opera House last night to hear Adams, Cassidy and Merrill. Mr. Adams opened with a speech of five minutes, proclaiming he had practically been Governor quite a few times. He did not define his position on any issues. Cassidy and Merrill followed with speeches of an hour each. At the end Colonel Ellis announced the Fusionist would talk one week from today.
100 years ago
The strike situation at Ely is developing a feeling of unrest. Everything is closed down and the men out of work are becoming restless. Yesterday at the Steptoe smelter at McGill there was a scene of disturbance for a time that threatened serious proportions.
70 years ago
Don Clark, former Safeway employee and first baseman on the champion Safeway softball team of 1941, is now in the U.S. Army at Camp Robinson, Little Rock.
50 years ago
Seven Carson girls are in the ranks of competitors for the crown of Miss Carson City. Sherie Burroughs, Loretta Barrier, Brenda Jane Wood are the latest three contestants to enter the race.
20 years ago
Carson volleyball got by the Galena Grizzlies 15-13, 15-10 Thursday night. The lady Senators were led by Jessica Marable, Tracy Blume and Adriane Ogilvie.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
10 years ago
The new PetSmart store is nearly complete. The new store will offer pet grooming, a veterinary clinic, training and adoption center.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts