October 25, 2012
130 years ago
(Continued from Wednesday) After the machines had been separated, Yerington remounted and took a run about the walks. Coming toward a corner, he caught a curb stone at the turn and shot over the fore wheel, landing on his hands, with the small wheel of the bicycle describing the segment of the Arctic Circle in the air (tomorrow, the flying leap).
100 years ago
From over the state comes the word of many Greeks and Servians (sic) who are returning to the mother country to fight the hated Turk. Practically every section of the state contains a few of the countrymen returning to take arms in the cause of Greece.
70 years ago
With the approach of Halloween, motorists are worried about their tires. Rubber rationing should make young boys aware that any damage to tires will help the enemies.
50 years ago
The Carson City Civil Air Patrol cadet squadron staged a miniature Cape Canaveral Saturday, launching a small rocket 20 miles east of here. The one foot long two-staged missile reached an altitude of 1,500 feet.
20 years ago
Richard Moreno, former director of advertising and public relations for the Nevada Commission on Tourism, has been named publisher.
10 years ago
Trial by fire for band instructor Ryan Rothchild results in a first-place trophy for a marching band for Carson High School’s Blue Thunder Band.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts