November 23, 2012
130 Years Ago
Prediction: The Piutes predict a severe winter based on their prognostications on the thickness of moss which grows on the bark of trees… The Washoes say the winter will be mild because the ground hog doesn’t dig his cellar as deep as usual…
120 Years Ago
All sorts: Thanksgiving ball– It’s not the dancing but the hugging that is improper according to a preacher referring to round dances.
70 Years Ago
Dairy Products: A nationwide milk conservation program will be inaugurated and will cover all dairy products and ranked in importance to the war effort in the following order: fluid milk, dry whole milk, cheese, evaporated milk, butter and ice cream…
50 Years Ago
Fighter planes were returning to Nellis Air Force Base in the aftermath of the Cuban crisis. Eight F-105s along with three C-120 cargo planes with ground support crews aboard…
10 Years Ago
The state’s jobless rate was at 4.5 percent in October. The number of out-of-work Nevadans dropped from 51,40 to 47,500.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Two top AG’s staffers win reprieve on license status pending July bar exams
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Arrest made in Carson City Cal-Ranch Store burglary