November 30, 2012
130 Years Ago
Accident on the C.P.: The Eastern mail did not arrive because of a culvert washing out near Wadsworth, ditching a locomotive and 23 freight cars. Chester Campbell, the head brakeman, was killed.
120 Years Ago
Miss Dollie Watson of Denver believes she has swallowed six dynamite caps and fears they will explode. After learning of the matter Dollie’s landlady insisted she leave the house and gave her a pair of felt slippers to go down stairs with so she wouldn’t explode… Her friends avoid her as if she had a contagious disease. When she told her story in Justice court the audience fled in a hurry and one deputy sheriff in his eagerness to get out smashed a window…
70 Years Ago
Births: A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. John Bawden at Washoe general hospital in Reno on Thanksgiving day.
50 Years Ago
Hot lunch menu for week of Dec. 3-7 was announced by special services director John Hawkins: Monday: Spanish rice, Harvard beets, peanut butter sandwiches, pudding with fruit, milk… Wednesday: Baked beans, cabbage salad, read and butter, applesauce, milk… Friday: Tunaburgers, corn, sliced tomatoes, apple crisp, milk…
30 Years Ago
Sen. Paul Laxalt, R-Nev, is “intrigued” by the idea of becoming a Supreme Court justice… Laxalt is a close friend of President Reagan…
10 Years Ago
A local construction agency may head up the addition to Bordewich-Bray Elementary School with the $3.75 million bond approved in the election.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Open house at historic Carson City site to honor Native American heritage