December 1, 2012
130 Years Ago
All sorts: In politics, the connubiators and rustlers do all the work, and the expectant candidates do all the sweating.
120 Years Ago
Bad weather prevented star-gazers from viewing the meteoric shower… Holders of tickets can get their money back by applying to Observer Friend.
70 Years Ago
Lions meet at Hunter’s Lodge with August Berning, chairman of the Ormsby county rationing board. Berning gave Lions information about various rationing books…
50 Years Ago
Santa Claus may skip Pat Boone, symbol of clean-living young America. In the movie “The Main Attraction” he smokes, brawls in a barroom, spends a night with a girl…”
30 Years Ago
History of Carson City library… The first public library was provided by the Nevada State Library… A Friends of the Library group laid the problem before the city fathers and space was made available in the basement of the present city administration building. In 1967, the Fleischmann Foundation made a generous grant of $30,000 for books, and the library needed more room. The Fleischmann Foundation granted $500,000 for a new facility. By 1981 the building was full again and the Fleischmann Foundation made another grant of $500,000 for an addition…
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts