December 5, 2012
130 years ago
About 2 o’clock yesterday an Indian was passing through Chinatown when he attempted to invade the Chinese temple and seize a bronze god. The old piece of parchment who acts as high priest of the sanctuary knocked the man down with an incense lamp swinging over the altar (continued Thursday).
100 years ago
The work of building a road about Lake Tahoe from Tallac to McKinneys will be suspended for the winter. About three miles of road remain to be completed. When finished it will mean a way around Lake Tahoe.
70 years ago
Two Nevada soldiers have been cited, one posthumously, for meritorious service during Japanese attacks on Dutch Harbor. The posthumous award for a Purple Heart was to corporal Benson A. Harrison of Reno. Captain Harry Hickman of Winnemucca was given a Silver Star for entering a burning barracks to rescue two enlisted men.
50 years ago
The 1963 legislature will be asked to pass a bill banning impersonation of a female and on land promotion schemes.
20 years ago
Due to delays removing a leaking gasoline tank from the Sheriff’s Department last month, the city will be stuck with the cleanup bill.
10 years ago
Carson City’s protest against a public-land auction in Douglas County could delay 146 acres of commercial development.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat