December 27, 2012
130 years ago
J. Blevins and Robert Chinn, the two trustees who recently escaped from the State Prison, were captured night before last near Soda Springs by Gilbert Awbin, one of the guards at the prison. Awbin kept on the trail after everyone else had abandoned it and came upon the men. They were back in their old quarters last night and having many hardships, where glad to be there.
100 years ago
Late yesterday Tony Morrison was removed to the old pest house in this city. The Commissioners and county physician made an inspection, secured a nurse and supplied other necessities in order to make the old shack as comfortable as possible. Having smallpox, physicians agree he is at least housed and has attention.
70 years ago
Mrs. H.E. Hazard, chief block leader for civilian war service in Ormsby county spoke today with satisfaction and high praise for the fine manner in which block leaders to distribute literature for “Share the Meat for Victory.”
50 years ago
The Nina II, replica of the smallest ship used in Christopher Columbus’ discovery of the New World 470 years ago, today completes its voyage of 97 days.
20 years ago
The second annual Reno International Ice Carving Competition is held under the Reno Arch.
10 years ago
For 45 years, the Carson Nugget Coffee Shop has opened its doors Christmas morning to hundreds of diners for a free holiday meal of turkey or ham. “We expect 1,500,” says manager James Chavez.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016