December 28, 2012
130 years ago
The annual report of the Mint Director is at hand. It shows when the New Orleans Mint could not keep itself supplied with silver at market rates, the matter was immediately righted, and now it is sailing on smoothly. It took years before the difficulty could be overcome at the Carson Mint. Comparing the two, it would seem that the New Orleans institution should go first.
100 years ago
The flow of ice in the electric company’s ditch over at the power house on the Truckee has been given considerable trouble over the past few weeks. Yesterday the plaster mill at Mound House was closed down for lack of power. It is stated power is down to one-third because of the ice.
70 years ago
With very few exceptions, Army and Navy trainees stationed in Carson City for flight training are at home for Christmas. They will report back to Carson tomorrow. Boys left in town were entertained in private homes.
50 years ago
The Carson City Fire department answered three calls over the Christmas holiday, with one fire causing extensive damage to the kitchen in one home.
20 years ago
(Photo Caption) Santa, also known sometimes as Wes Weston, holds Carla Rodriquez, 19 months, at the Carson Nugget. Boxes of gifts were handed out to about 20 families at the party.
10 years ago
Heaven’s chorus of angels sounds clearer this season under the direction of longtime Carson City choir and band director Larry Halloway. He died this week after a year-long bout with leukemia. He was 52.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts
- Carson City health inspections for May 19