January 12, 2013
130 Years Ago
Accident: Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Sharp of the Ormsby House were driving in a buggy across the track at the Mexican Mill at Empire when a hand car suddenly came up and scared the horse… He upset the buggy and spilt the lady and gentleman down an embankment… Mrs. Sharp was seriously bruised.
120 Years Ago
Dr. Herrick elected: Dr. L. A. Herrick was appointed county physician for the term of six months, at $75 per month. He is to furnish all medicines and attend to all indigent.
70 Years Ago
Capitol employees volunteer an extra hour daily: Effective on Jan. 15 employees in the Capitol will work an hour longer each day without added compensation, in order to save the state the expense in war time of employment of additional persons. … The Nevada statutes fix the working day of employees in the state offices between the hours of nine in the forenoon and four in the afternoon. … Under new arrangements the employees will work from nine until five. …
50 Years Ago
The State Museum revealed that it has the first scientific systematic butterfly collection in the process of development in Nevada. Museum Board Chairman Judge Clark J. Guild said some 4,000 specimens from western Nevada have been collected. …
30 Years Ago
Banks across the country cut their prime lending rate a half point to 11 percent which is the lowest level in 21⁄2 years. President Reagan said the rate reductions were “good news … it will be particularly important in the housing and automobile field.”
10 Years Ago
Carson designer Doreen Mack offers special things at her Lofty Expression Store at 114 W. Telegraph. Mack has been in the business of interior design and creations for 23 years. …
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016