January 18, 2013
130 Years Ago
All sorts: Dr. Herrick has been appointed physician at the Orphan’s Home. The storm at Lake Tahoe was one of the fiercest known with waves that ran mountain high… The spray flooded the door of the Lake Shore House at Glenbrook.
120 Years Ago
Delirious patient: A bootblack who had been working for Vieria was found on King Street in his stocking feet, flourishing a gun and frightening some ladies nearly out of their wits. He rushed into the State House saloon and L. Stern took away his weapon… The bootblack had been sick and was delirious from fever…
70 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Carson Theatre – ‘Wings for the Eagle’ with Ann Sheridan and Dennis Morgan.”
50 Years Ago
Cat rescued: Harold McKenzie, Carson City Water Co. employee, responds to the cries of a black cat lying forlornly on top of a telephone pole… and convinces the cat that he is up there to help him.
30 Years Ago
Gold and silver quotes for 1983: Gold – $497.75 per troy ounce and silver – $13.00 per fine ounce.
10 Years Ago
Photo caption: Ranchers Mary Dann and Carrie Dann have visitors on their ranch in Crescent Valley. Horses belonging to the Western Shoshone Dann sisters were being rounded up by tribal members for shipment to a ‘safe haven’ before state and federal agencies impounded the animals for illegal grazing on federal land.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Wall of snow at Heavenly