January 20, 2013
130 Years Ago
All sorts: A message is to be transmitted to Sen. Jones requesting him to secure a telescope for the Friend Observatory. School at the First and Second Wards will be closed for one week on account of scarlet fever. The comedy of a “Bull in a China Shop” … presented at the Opera House under the auspices of the Ladies’ Library… is successful.
120 Years Ago
The Well: The well sunk by Harry Flannery in the upper floor of the Capitol has struck a flow of fine old Bourbon of a superior quality… The members who have sampled it pronounce it equal to anything ever seen in this State, especially in the Capitol building.
70 Years Ago
War time gas rationing: Service stations can remain open only 72 hours a week…according to a new amendment effective January 23.
50 Years Ago
Governor Grant Sawyer asked the Nevada State Legislature to create a super-structure of four new departments in an effort to partially reorganize the “maze” of agencies…
30 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Luxury Theatres, $2 adults, $1 children – now playing “Night Warning,” “The Dark Crystal,” “Best Friends,” and “Tootsie.”
10 Years Ago
Highlights of Gov. Guinn’s budget: 28 percent of state funds are to be used for human resources, increase in Medicaid funds will serve over 200,000 recipients, for mental health the budget includes a $32 million for a new 150-bed psychiatric hospital in Las Vegas. The budget will expanding senior Rx programs, and include spending $5.8 million on Nevada Checkup programs for children…
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016