January 24, 2013
130 Years Ago
Small amazons: Emma Hall and Polly Cunningham met in front of Edgecomb’s stable and engaged in a fisticuff encounter of the most approved style… Three rounds were fought with scratching, pulling out false bangs, and gouging in a manner to make Sullivan’s blood curdle. Polly won the last two rounds… the girls came out of the fray in anything but presentable condition.
70 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Carson Theatre – ‘The Tales of Manhattan’ with a great all-star cast: Charles Boyer, Henry Fonda, Rita Hayworth, Edward G. Robinson, Ginger Rogers…”
50 Years Ago
Anthropologists digging in the Tule Springs area have uncovered a man-made stone scraper which is between 11,000 and 12,000 years old. Dr. Richard Shutler, curator of anthropology at the state museum, says the quartz scraper was found 10 feet underground.
30 Years Ago
Bills: About 25 percent of Carson City water and sewer customers are behind on paying their bills. There are 12,000 accounts for water, sewer or both and the estimated average winter bill is about $25.
10 Years Ago
Photo caption: Jan Gilbert, Northern Nevada coordinator for the Progressive Leadership Alliance, speaks at a seminar to teach people how to lobby government officials.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office seeks information into battery thefts
- Lake Tahoe water managers may have to ‘spill’ water