February 17, 2013
130 years ago
Everyone knows that Assemblyman Riepe is a hotel keeper at Bristol, Lincoln County, and that he is endowed with a very generous nature. At the time of his election to the Legislature, he had in his service a waiter bearing the name “French Pete.” A short while later, the waiter died and Riepe caused a head board to be erected over the grave, bearing the following inscription: “Presented to French Pete by his friend Hon. R.A. Riepe.”
100 years ago
Word has passed from Reno that former Carsonite Trenmore Coffin, but a boy in years, has passed in Reno at the age of 26. He had rushed by train by the Masons who joined him at Hazen and was greeted by his mother Mrs. S. Summerfield at the depot. The wan face flushed with pleasure over seeing again his loved ones, even as the sinking sun glows on the last cloud, and then in a moment came darkness.
70 years ago
The Nevada Assembly this afternoon adopted A.C.R. 5 by Phillips which extends to Madame Chiang Kai-Shek an invitation to address a joint session of the Nevada legislature.
50 years ago
(Photo Caption) Two Pinion Hills residents hold on tight as they cross the Carson River on the newly built ferrying service which was improvised by residents who are partly isolated by the recent flooding which washed away.
20 years ago
It’s official, the events center in Mills Park has a name: the Pony Express Pavilion.
10 years ago
Gas prices are up in Northern Nevada with the war in Iraq and a worker’s strike in Venezuela, where the U.S. gets most of its fuel. The average price for gas is $1.69 in Nevada.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts