March 1, 2013
130 years ago
Hank Monk’s Funeral. At 1 o’clock yesterday afternoon the remains of Hank Monk were taken from the residence of James M. Benton to the Episcopal Church. The services consisted of the usual ritual and singing. The coffin was elaborately decorated with flowers. Rev. G. R. Davis closed the service with the following: “During many years of my ministry in this city few sadder tasks have been allotted me than the one in placed in my hands today.” (Continued Saturday.)
100 years ago
Yesterday in the Assembly a bill passed called the white slave law that should result in the cleaning out of the pandering and solicitation beasts that have followed this game.
70 years ago
Wilfred Hansford Gallienne, new British consul at Chicago reveals that 2,759 British bombers were lost in flights over Germany since Jan. 1. He describes all of England as being transformed in effect into “one gigantic airport. Under every tree is a plane,” he said.
50 years ago
(Photo Caption) The Carson Nugget is going to build a second story above its regular one story building. Pictured is a derrick swinging a huge steel beam into place.
20 years ago
Carson City’s ability to manage water systems will be severely restricted unless the legislature acts to change the way water is diverted, place or manner of use and beneficial use.
10 years ago
The Senate Finance Committee reviews a bill that would help fund programs for problem gamblers.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016
- Open house at historic Carson City site to honor Native American heritage
- Major disaster declaration for Nevada, Carson City