March 2, 2013
130 years ago
Hank Monk’s Funeral (Continued from Friday). Rev. Davis: “The man who knows his own natural capacities and strives to occupy the position in life most suited to the gifts, however humble, which will result in the fullest measure of usefulness to his fellow man, is a man of brains and honest purpose. How few of us have the good sense or modesty to know our place in life.” Monks remains were taken to the cemetery followed by a long precession of carriages. Pall bearers included ex-Gov. Kinkead, Stephen Gage, Judge W.M. Cary, A.D. Treadway, J.H. Martin and Thomas Condon.
100 years ago
Charley Winters came into the office this morning and stated that he is going to stick to Carson even though he has sold his house. He, with his folks, will live here for some time to come.
70 years ago
Two thousand, five hundred and sixty four war ration books “number two” have been issued in Ormsby County (Carson City). The number of ration books issued was between one and two hundred short, showing a large decrease in population.
50 years ago
(Photo Caption) Scouts at Work. Members of Boy Scout Troop 33 at Eagle Valley Children’s Home spent last Saturday in an all-out pre-spring cleaning. Shown are Mike Bodamer, Park Parham, assistant scout master Glen Parham, Jim Crain and Bud LaDuke, scoutmaster. Kneeling is Darrell Parham, Loren Chipman and Paul Rhodes.
20 years ago
Wooster’s Cinderella season came to an end when the Lady Senators completed their greatest comeback of the season to beat the Colts 62-59 advancing to the semi-final round of the NIAA Pizza Hut North Zone Basketball Tournament.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
10 years ago
A white dinner plate can be seen 78 feet down in Lake Tahoe, the clearest the lake has been since 1992.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat