March 3, 2013
130 Years Ago
Stout Beer: The amount of snap found in Sweeney’s bottle beer is now claimed to have a dash of Roderer in each bottle… In a cathedral where there is a high roof such beer might do, but in houses where the ceiling is only twelve feet from the floor, the flying corks knock a chunk out of the plaster… Only one room in this writer’s house has a square inch of plaster left… In a few weeks you can study astronomy through the roof.
120 Years Ago
All sorts: A morning newspaper will soon be published in Virginia City by old hands of the late Territorial Enterprise.
70 Years Ago
Birth: Mr. and Mrs. Ciro Guirlani are the happy parents of a baby boy born at St. Mary’s Hospital in Reno.
50 Years Ago
Photo caption: School play – “The Cross Princess” was presented by fourth grade students of Mrs. Lyle Richardson at Corbett school… The cast included Sharon Dunham, Rhonda Brewer, Robert Clark, Katherine Gonsales, Mark Perondi, Karen Eddy, Susie Thorpe and Linny Simpson…
30 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Proscenium Players present Meredith Willson’s ‘Music Man,’ with Director Steve Lerian, Choreographer Rita Leon and Producer Tom Green-Carson City Community Center, Admission $6.”
10 Years Ago
The Nevada State Museum’s historic coin press applied 120 tons of pressure to silver blanks to create new medallions honoring a former home of the Nevada Supreme Court — now the Attorney General’s Office…
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016