March 5, 2013
130 Years Ago
Hank Monk: Some time ago “Buffalo Bill” telegraphed Hank Monk about an important letter that was to come. The letter was received by the after he had passed away and contained a splendid inducement for him to go East and take part in “Buffalo Bill’s” dramas.
120 Years Ago
A scoundrel’s work: Some conscienceless scoundrels have defaced the tombstone of the cemetery by taking a sledge hammer to some of the most expensive tombstones. … Half a dozen have been thus injured, and there is no clew [sic] as to the perpetrators. … The Wright estate offers $50 reward for the apprehension of the parties. The citizens should also add a good coat of tar and feathers.
50 Years Ago
Desi Arnaz: married Edith Hirsch on his 46th birthday with flowers and congratulations from his ex-wife, Lucille Ball. The ceremony was held at the Sands Hotels in Las Vegas and included entertainers Jimmy Durante and Van Johnson.
30 Years Ago
Bids were opened for the once booming mining town of Rhyolite. Five bids ranging from $25,000 to $325,000 were received by the First Interstate Bank trust department. The bids will be forwarded to heirs of Frederica Heisler who owned the town and 403 acres of surrounding land.
10 Years Ago
The final minutes of Columbia’s astronauts were cheerful and at times lighthearted. The video cassette shown on NASA TV was found three weeks ago in East Texas. There were more than 250 videos aboard Columbia, and it was the only one recovered that had any recording left.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Two top AG’s staffers win reprieve on license status pending July bar exams
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Arrest made in Carson City Cal-Ranch Store burglary