March 7, 2013
130 Years Ago
A tribute to Hank Monk by Charley Goodwin: Hank Monk was a character… Before the leathers under the coach were so soaked with alcohol there was no better balanced head than his. There was an air about him which his closest friends could not understand… It was something that seemed to say that stage driving was not his intended work, and there were other things more difficult than handling six wild horses. He was reserved of speech, sententious in his ways and could pronounce an epigram worth of Ingersoll or Emerson… (continued on Friday)
120 Years Ago
St. Patrick’s Ball: Jim Wiggins, leader of the German in Empire will give a St. Patrick’s Day Domino party on the 17th. He has made preparation for free transportation of guests and a big feed will be on tap at Mrs. Koble’s. Tickets are $1…
70 Years Ago
Advertisement: “Carson Theatre – ‘Springtime in the Rockies’ with Betty Grable, John Payne, Carmen Miranda. The romantic musical that will wrap itself around your heart…”
50 Years Ago
Water shortage: Officials said only 78 inches of snow has fallen this season compared with 400 inches last year. The Sierras are a major source of water for Northern Nevada.
30 Years Ago
Carson Host Lions: Purpose and goals of Lions International is sight conservation, hearing preservation and community service. The club was chartered in November 1932 during the heart of the Great Depression…
10 Years Ago
Photo caption: Lara Sterner, project manager for AKAL Construction was on hand for the groundbreaking ceremony for the Holiday Inn Express being built north of Carson City. The 83-room hotel will be at the corner of Carson Street and Broadleaf.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Two top AG’s staffers win reprieve on license status pending July bar exams
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Arrest made in Carson City Cal-Ranch Store burglary