March 9, 2013
130 Years Ago
Hank Monk’s family: H. S. Mason received a letter from Hank’s brother of Park City, Utah, making inquires regarding the deposition of his remains. Monk has a sister in Hartford and his mother lives in Lawrence County, New York.
120 Years Ago
Capitol side walk: The bill to complete the sidewalk was fought by the old fossils if the Legislature … Senator Foley stood to save the bill. Improvement in Ormsby County, and his work is always appreciated.
70 Years Ago
Eggs: The office of price administration has fixed the maximum retail price for grade ‘A’ eggs in California and Nevada at 52 cents …
50 Years Ago
A record-setting $81.5 million in highway construction contracts were awarded in the past five years, the Nevada Highway Department reported … The figure is greater than that spent on road projects by the department in its first 30 years of operation (1917-1938).
30 Years Ago
Opposition is formidable in a drive to kill the 55 mile per hour speed limit especially in western states … “I don’t see any reason for a 55 mph speed limit between … Hawthorne and Tonopah or between Tonopah and Ely,” said Sen. Paul Laxalt, R-Nevada.
10 Years Ago
Carrie Townley Porter portrays the “First Lady of Las Vegas,” Helen J. Stewart at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church … Porter is President of the Nevada Women’s History Project.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Carson City health inspections for May 19
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts