Past Pages for Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013
October 10, 2013
130 years ago
A Farmer's Scripture. (Continued from Wednesday). "Beware them what ask recompense for mediation, for their ways are not the ways of the righteous," chimed in the first farmer who had just recovered his wind. "I guess that's nigh onto correct Scripture, although it's been some years since I wrestled with the Word." The preacher did not recover from this thrust but hit the horse a lick over the neck with the bridle reins and started off toward Sheridan.
100 years ago
An exciting runaway which avoided serious results only by chance occurred Sunday on the Kingsbury Grade when a six-horse team dashed down the grade, wrecked a bridge and ended when one horse in the team fell to its death a distance of 60 feet. The team was driven by John Crocker, who was hauling lumber.
70 years ago
First Lt. Richard L. Waters, Jr., United States Army Air Force, was co- pilot in a army heavy bomber that blasted the island of Tarawa Sept. 18 and 19 during a combined navy raid on Gilbert Island.
50 years ago
Members of Xi Alpha Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi sorority enjoyed a social meeting in Virginia City at the Sharon House. Participating were Ruth Gotelli, Deanna Kuckenmeister, Barbara Scheer, Barbara Hawley, Joy Amodei, Gloria Dunning, Marguerite Cunningham, Jean Duensing, Verna Morres Shirley Whitcome and Jane Williams.
Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Appeal until his death in 2006.
30 years ago
Carson City's top amateur boxer, Bobby Adamson, starts on a journey he hopes will lead to a spot on the United States Olympic boxing team.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat